Susie Gilbert strikes to give Great Britain early lead against Australia in Bunbury
It was only GB’s second win in their last 14 meetings with Australia and Gilbert’s 15th international goal. It came when she fired home the rebound from a Crista Cullen penalty corner flick.
Great Britain had suffered an early setback in their first match – a 3-4 defeat – when the recently crowned FIH Rising Star Lily Owsley dislocated a collar bone which will sideline her for the rest of the series. Alex Danson missed the first two games with a hand injury.
East Grinstead men just missed out on a podium place after a 1-4 defeat by the Swedes Partille in the bronze medal match at the EuroHockey Indoor Championship in Hamburg. But it was their best placing in their seventh successive European appearance.
Unbeaten in their pool games with draws against the Austrians Arminen (1-1) and Grunwald Poznan of Poland (3-3) and a 4-2 win over the Spaniards Complutense, they lost 0-4 against the hosts and eventual winners Harvestehuder in the semi-final.
In the second tier Trophy event in Russia Scottish champions Inverleith were denied promotion after a 2-4 defeat by hosts Dinamo Elektrostal left them in third place.
In the third tier Challenge 1 tournament in Bulgaria Cardiff & Met and Queen’s University Belfast finished fifth and seventh respectively.
Latest hockey news
- New Great Britain Hockey President appointed
- U18 Boys' Schools Championship
- U16 Boys' Schools Championship Round Up
- GB & England athletes attending England Hockey Awards 2017
- U14 Boys School Championships
- World Cup ticket sales show hockey's changing world
- Boys Schools finalists confirmed
- Comeback kings Surbiton take men's title
- Super Surbiton make it four in a row
- Investec Women's Hockey League Play-Offs