Koen Suyk wins 'picture of the European championships'
Congratulations go to photographer Koen Suyk who took this magnificent shot of England's Alex Danson in full flight.
It was the picture of the European Championships at Lee Valley.
Koen, who used to play for the Rood Wit club in the Netherlands, started in photography in 1974 at the age of 20 working for an agency in Haarlem. He then worked for ANEFO, a national picture agency, covering "mostly football and a little bit of hockey," he says.
From 1980 he worked for the Dutch National press agency for 30 years until 2010 and then went freelance also working for ANP.
For ANP, Koen has covered five summer Olympic Games (Seoul 1988, Barcelona 1992, Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000 and London 2012, plus one winter Olympics (Sarajevo 1984) and one Paralympic (Athens 2004)."And almost all the big hockey events all over the world and a lot of other sports," he said.
Since 2010, he has worked for the KNHB, the Dutch Hockey Federation, and for the last two years for the European Hockey Federation (EHF) and International Hockey Federation (FIH).
He said of the Danson picture: "The moment she dived I took the picture. I felt that it had to be a good one. She tried to catch the ball on the rebound."
For his efforts, Koen handed over £10 to become a member of the Hockey Writers' Club. Well done Koen!
Latest hockey news
- New Great Britain Hockey President appointed
- U18 Boys' Schools Championship
- U16 Boys' Schools Championship Round Up
- GB & England athletes attending England Hockey Awards 2017
- U14 Boys School Championships
- World Cup ticket sales show hockey's changing world
- Boys Schools finalists confirmed
- Comeback kings Surbiton take men's title
- Super Surbiton make it four in a row
- Investec Women's Hockey League Play-Offs